Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What am I doing wrong?

Hey everyone-
Please give me your honest advice...where are we (I say 'we' meaning myself and the other IG staff) dropping the ball? Are we doing something BAD that you wish we'd change?

On the other hand, what are we NOT doing that you wish we'd do?

Don't hold back - let me have it! I want to know how I can improve things for YOU!

Please post your comment here - you'll notice that you shouldn't have to 'sign in', create an account or anything, so you can remain anonymous. :)

(edit) Thanks for the comments - just so you know, I'm talking to web designers now. SO, if you happen to be one, shoot me an email.
(/edit)

And don't forget - you get the download for 50% off - here is the link again: http://www.indyguitarist.com/1105-memberpricing.htm

Thanks and I look forward to reading your advice!
Brian
http://www.indyguitarist.com/

71 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, the website could be simpler.
the pedal mods are great.
I think you should include in the how to build book something that tells you why you hook up certain components and in what order, especially for the build your own pedals one. and it would be cool if you sold all the parts and components so you don't have to hit up multiple sites and pay 2 or 3 shipping costs

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Love what you're doing. Site could be a bit better organised. Better bigger buttons for the diverse content such as your pedals mods etc.

The link to the pinnacle pedal works from the purchase site but not directly from the indyguitarist site.

Offer complete pedalboards including 110/220 optioned juice.

Maybe you can strike a deal with a good lead manufacturer and promote that/sell that??

I am currently considering sending you 5 of my pedals to modify and improve from Europe so much faith I have in you!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I really like Indyguitar products, from amp mods to pedals, I like the work put into the end product. The one thing I would change since I hate Apple and their Quicktime crap is to also put up the videos in Realplayer format since I won't watch them otherwise. But that is a minor complaint. Otherwise keep coming up with new mods for us!

Andrew

pioneer_56

Anonymous said...

Your webpage(s) are a complete mess! Too many windows popping up, to many different domains with different informations, impossible to find the same things again etc.

PLEASE!!! Make a webpage on ONE domain only. Have everything on this webpage, make it readable and not so hard to figure out how to buy books, get discounts, login etc.

That really bugs me!

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Like many of us the music is a hobby at best, so dedicating time and money to it requires justification. I confess that although I am keen I have not yet bought a single thing from you. Originally I found your site when searching for mods to a Boss SD-2 (you were the only resource found!) so I signed up with all good intentions of buying the books and modding this pedal. Then I thought I should get all the mods and learn how to make my own effects. Your timing could not have been better as you brought out that book in the same month! Sadly I have still yet to buy anything as I do not have time to sit down and read it all through, plus I am not confident in my soldering skills! THIS YEAR however that is going to change. No-one else does what your doing at least at these excellent prices! Boutique mods seem to cost the earth and you prove they don't. I have mentioned before my confusion over the 2 domains but my only real critiscm would be to see some actual sample pages rather than the small thumbnails, some thoughts on prototyping would be cool too. Other than that - you rock! Keep doing what you do best!

Anonymous said...

Can this man do no wrong? I haven't come across anything yet. I was one of the earliest buyers of the original "How to mod pedals..." ebooks. It's been a great resourse. Though I haven't made the jump to building my own pedals as I have a tech on staff who does exactly that. But I might just be tempted to buy Brian's two new books as I've been itchin to build myself a fuzz or two and it's too expensive to pay my own tech to do it for me!!! lol ;-) I wish you all the best for your continued success Brian. I've enjoyed your website (I really should buy that country guitar DVD as well, it's on my list). Your popcasts have been interesting and informative. If you are doing something wrong, I don't know what it is. You are a great asset to the music community as you have empowered possibly thousands of players to take their tone into their own hands, rather than in the hands of big business. I'm looking forward to being able to mod my own Blues Junior at some stage (hint hint.. ;-). I wish you great sucess in all your endevours. God Bless.

Jules - thepedalman

Anonymous said...

Indyguitarist is amazing..very helpful site..lots of information..the great thing about it is brian's years of experience with pedals..you can be so sure that the info you get from the site is accurate and that it took a lot of studying,tweaking and testing before it is published..the prices are or reasonable..knowing the hardwork this guys took just to get that inspiring tone everyone is looking for!

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong Brian,

You have a great and interesting business. Sometimes I feel that the emails are a little 'spamish' then again on the whole an enjoyable read. My advice is to review your email policy in a 'public relations' sense.

Cheers, Don

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Brian

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with your works and you do your best to make your costumers or members satisfied so go forward and we will be your support.

Anonymous said...

hey mate, don't worry.. at leas for me. i'm maicolp.
i love the work you guys are doing. so... keep it coming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, the site and material offered are great. I think it may be if sales are slow that us working musicians are hurting. Economy is not as good as they say and expenses are way up. I know that is what has kept me from ordering any new stuff from y'all. I think your pricing is fair and your materials are excellent, lots of great knowledge.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Everyone at indyguitarist is doing a great job
The pedals are great except i would like more information on the pedals you make that are listed but dont have links yet but other then that u r doing a GREAT job

Anonymous said...

And im not sure if it is just my computer but the pinnacle 2.1 link doesnt work but this is a minor technical issue

Unknown said...

Hi Brian,
in my opinion you are doing fine- the podcasts are a real good idea- I am anxiously waiting for the one on the Epiphone 5 watt head as we speak....
Thanks,
Eric

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian.

I think you site is great, i´m checking it allmost every day for news. I have your first book and it has help me alot. Nothing more to say than. Keep up the good work, it´s people like you that makes the diffrens.

Best off all.

Claus Reimer
Denmark

Anonymous said...

I think that the design of your effect pedal is good.
Like and the sound of distortion sound is better than other things.
Because it has great clear sastain.
I haven't bought your pedals but I listened the sound on the web site.
I live in foreign country(not in U.S.A),so If when I want to buy ,how to buy it?
I don't know whether you sell the effects for foreign country.

Anonymous said...

"how to modify effects..." is the best!
I try many mods and they always give me the best.
Thanks! Pier.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
The Podcasts are a good idea. I am a registered member and have purchased your mod books. The Podcasts would be a nice addition to those books. You could have a section that was accessible only to those who purchase the books and the Podcasts would parallel the individual mods so that the individual could see you perform the mod.

You provide help in an area where not many others do. I hope you are successful so that you continue to be the valuable resource that you are.

Anonymous said...

I think that you are doing great Brian! I have been modding pedals for around 4 years and have run a small (very small) mod company for about two years. I like to keep current on all the other mod guys and what they are doing. I have a degree in computer electronics but never did much with it until I started working on pedals (some seven years after I graduated). I had never even thought of modding anything, as I was an acoustic singer/songwriter, until a friend of mine asked me to try out this new pedal that he got. When I came over it was a keeley DS1. I had played the DS1 before and wasn't impressed but I was blown away by how much better it sounded ... until he told me how much the mod job was! I couldn't believe and when I opened it up to see the changes - I was shocked even more. I have owned several pedals from several mod companies and other than mine (since mine are taylored to me personally), I think yours sound the best and you don't break the bank. I have always been impressed with your quality and price. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
I wouldn't say that you are doing anything wrong. In fact, I think the availability of DIY stuff, of modded pedals, and access to guitar tips, a la Brent Mason are pretty cool.
I can only speak for myself, but I would say that if you are talking about actual sales, it's a tough market. A lot of us play a lot and read a lot, but buy stuff, maybe only once or twice a year. When I feel good about my set up, I probably will use that rig until either something breaks or it loses the 'magic.' Then I start looking around for the piece that will tweak the tone again.

Now you have sites like youtube to compete with as well -- anyone can get instruction, see an interview, even see their favorite guitarist play live, from someone's upload.

I'm not sure what kind of reults you are looking for -- sales, hits, downloads, but Lord knows I generally check out whatever you send along. In fact, in this world of overpriced amps, guitars, and pedal modding, I am surprised that you don't have a lot of business. Maybe some people regard 'more expensive,' 'hard to get', and 'buying from people hard to get a hold of as qualities that make something more valuable. It's a crazy market. Don't get discouraged!

Anonymous said...

From your question, can we assume that sales aren't meeting your expectations for your new tube amp mods?

If so, I think it may be because your videos are specific to one amp, which limits the sales to owners of that amp.

Also, if I remember correctly, your videos only had the "after" and lacked a "Before" for comparison.

I'd also say something about mods available free from the internet. Are yours are more specific and optimized for the amp?

My .02

Anonymous said...

Brian:

I think you are doing fine. I have already purchased all of your books, with the exception of the last amp mod that you did. Your pedal books are great and I have used them all. Well, I am just beginning to look at the advanced pedal building book, because I am having a little difficulty turning a schematic into a layout on vero board, but I am getting there. I did purchase the earlier amp mod you did because I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Mine is still under warantee so I don't plan on doing anything for a while with it, maybe never, but I bought it just in case. I am fairly happy with the amp. It is a special edition with a vintage 30 and the amp really does sound great. The only things I would change is that I would like to have a little more bottom end and the overdrive stinks, but I use a TS-9 anyhow. I have to be honest with you that I really haven't watched all of the videos yet, but I will when I get serious about doing something with the amp.

I appreciate all of the help you have given me. I think your support is great. I really don't know what there is out there for competition, I don't know of any other sites that are offering what you offer in the area of books for pedal building, so I can't comment about that. I know that Aron Nelson has a site with free downloads of pedals to build and I just ordered some parts to do one from there. I know of GGG and AMZ, but they really don't offer what you do.

I probably won't be doing any more pedal modifications, simply because the mods that I have done have given me a sound that I am really happy with. I do plan on building some pedals though. If you were to write another book on pedals, I would appreciate one on turning a schematic into a layout on vero board. I am still working on learning to read schematics and following the signal. Maybe doing some simple ones and then working to some more difficult.

Maybe you could put some more pedals noline again like before. I'm not sure that I would buy one right now because I am happy with what I have, but who knows. One can never have enough overdrives.

You and your books have given me the confidence to begin a new hobby that I really love.

Greg Stinogel
gregstinogel@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

I haven't purchased a lot from you, but I have enjoyed the e-book on effects mods and have tried a few. I do build, repair and mod effects as well as amps and guitars, but it's always nice to add to my own database.

So far I'm a satisfied customer.

Anonymous said...

Hi you guys do a great job with everything.You offer far more information on DIY stuff than anyone else as far as pedals go.would be cool to have more amp stuff and more complex circuts (delays,chorus,octave,phaser)in the how to build books.Thanks keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't know of a thing you could do to improve on. Just keep adding the DIY kits for more pedals. We all know there are thousands of pedals out there and it's impossible to build a DIY for all of them. Just keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

well the site needs to be more user friendly. I cant give specifics but its not the easiest site to navigate. You need the links to not open in a new window.


The individual pedal mod info is a little high. Most folks want just one or 2 pedals modded so maybe lower individual pedal prices may attract more attention.

The actual mod info is fine it doesnt need improvement. My mods turned out fine. Im very happy with them.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
In this day and age of disposable electronics, some just don't want to take the time to involve themselves in anything that will take more than 5 minutes of time to get what they want.

There is a guitar site called the Guitarist Network (you may already be familiar with it) that attracts people from around the world and many have questions that,I feel, you would be a perfect candidate to advise and present your products.

I am too old and don't play professionally so I am not in need of many of your services at this time and my computer is very slow to download or stream so the podcasts take a while.(I'm starting to sound like the kids I was referring to at the beginning).
Other than that, I do check out the newsletters when they are sent and find them interesting.

Unknown said...

Web site(s) are confusing -- really hard to find what I am looking for. I purchased the DIY Mod Ebook. I did not download all mods when I got book. Now I want to download some more mods, but I can't find the link(s)!

Brian Wampler said...

Hi Chris- email me and I'll point you to the link again.
Thanks,
Brian

Anonymous said...

Only thing I can think of is that all my emails from you say:
"Hey there My - "
Kinda impersonal. How 'bout "Hey there my friend" or "Hey there my buddy."

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian

I think you're doing a great job !
I think you've carved yourself out a niche in the music world and on the internet.
The only thing negative I might agree with that I saw in the posts was with regards to a little better organization of the webpages . They seem quite busy .
I'm not really into DIY mods , I'd rather buy them already done so I cant help you there , though it seems you are very thorough.
I WANT TO PERSONALLY THANK YOU AND BRENT MASON FOR PULLING BACK THE IRON TONE CURTAIN ON HIS GEAR !
PLEASE KEEP THE PODCASTS AND THE STILL SHOTS COMING ! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BRENTS GEAR WHEN THE REWORK IS DONE!
With the price of equipment these days , it's sure is nice to KNOW what to use to acheive a certain tone , instead of guessing and listening to rumors about what certain artists use to get their tone.
I have about 50 pedals in boxes that I bought, tried and passed on and only about 15 that I like , to get where I am tonewise.
One of the things that I have never understood about some artists and their tone , is the length they go to keep it a national secret . I seriously doubt any of them are in danger of loosing their job or status in the music world because someone copies their tone ????

I think you are doing a great job!
Keep up the great work !
Thanks for the opportunity to soapbox .
Frank Lampone
Lakeland , Florida

Anonymous said...

First let me say you are a big help to countless musicians like me. Your website offers free downloadable instructions for pedal mods and that's cool while others would certainly charge even with just the instruction mod sheet. Like what others have observed, your webpage should be more user friendly and somehow organize. The links doesn't necessarily send you to where you expect it to go. It's not that I don't like your mods. Honestly I haven't tried any of them yet. Having good electronics background and pro musician you don't just mod any pedal of you're choice but you have to serach for what's the best mod that suits you. Mods are always a matter of taste. Like what happened to my DS-1, I picked other mods over yours (Keeley mod. You should sell your own parts too so modders could buy direct instead of going through different stores. Digikey is a pain in the a^$*! Minimum orders are required. Some stores don't necessarily have all the parts you need. Result is higher shipping expenses. There are so many mods now but IMHO, A VERSATILE, EXCELLENTLY GOOD SOUNDING AND USEFUL PEDALS are what musicians basically looking for. It's a matter of quest for tone. Whatever that makes musicians happy that's the best mod. Honestly, it's my first time to experienced Monte's rectifier mod+ for DS-1, I would say it's better than yours IMHO. I haven't tried your PODCast yet.

God bless and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

1. Web site could be more organized.
2. Waiting on Blues Junior mods!
3. The books (which I own) could have more vero layouts.
4. Would like to see mods to make pedals (and amps) more harp friendly - no one else does this.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

The website could be better organized, you should make it more attractive too (design). It doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice.

MODS ARE GREAT, and that's the most important thing of all for me! Maybe you could give some more info about which function certain components have in a pedal, or what they do to the sound.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Brian:

I don't know what more you could do really. Everyone has to remember this is a commercial enterprise. I know I don't buy alot from you, but I do enjoy the site and the news. I would probably buy the DIY books, but my soldering skills SUCK. I wish you had a service where you would consult with a person one on one about their setup and how to get the most out of it. Take me for instance. I have a KICK ASS Tele. I have the 410 Hot Rod Deville and all these damn pedals. I get a pretty good sound.....but...ain't there always a but....BUT it could be better. I think I have them in a pretty good order, but it seems like I'm always reaching for better tone. I'm striving for Brent Mason ang getting Perry Mason..LOL. So I know I was digressing some, but that would be my wish from your site. I would be willing...HELL I would be ESTATIC to pay someone to help me with my pedal settings, if the tone was there.

Thanks
Ed
Picker61@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

For me, you're not doing anything wrong, but that's because in all honesty, I'm not your target audience. I'm a hobbyist who has played out at jams occasionally. I am a tone freak, but I'm not an electronics tinkerer and would probably never mod anything myself.

I got word of your site when I was researching Blues Driver mods. I eventually went with the Keeley mod, but no fault of yours.

My .02

LVE said...

Hi Brian,

I think you put out great products - your effect pedals are unique, well built, and priced generously. Your first book "How To Modify Your Own Effects Pedals" helped launch the current surge of DIY stuff and I learned quite a bit from it. The advanced pedal building book is very valuable as well.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've always been a bit put-off by the website. It just doesn't seem to be very intuituve to me and I don't like the different links popping up when you try to access any number of products. (Plus I have to remember to mute the volume of my computer when I'm at work!) Some links (like for pedals) take you to that page but others (like mods) pop up in their own window.

I would also like more description of what each mod is doing to the pedal, amp, etc...For instance(from the Hot Rod mods), "eq/tonality/response changes" doesn't mean much to me. Something like "learn how to tweak the tonality and response of your amp to taste" would help me understand better what the mods are meant to do. On the other hand, the price is nice so I should probably just shut up and push the "Buy Now" button!

But, the actual products you put out are top notch anmd I can't ask any more than that.

Anonymous said...

Books should have modulation schematic and design tips.

The book are only about distortion, fuzz and overdrive with some router (aby, looper).

Should definitely have some delay, flanger, chorus, phaser, reverb, tremolo and vibrato effect as well.

They are alse guitar effect so why they have their place in a guitar fx book.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
I think we need more soundclips of the pedals that are more in line with what the pedal is capable of in different situations. ex. In your Pinnacle 2 soundclip you do a scooped mid section but you don't play anything heavy to show how tight and defined the pedal is. It would also be cool to hear clips that show the different lead tones you can get out of a single pedal. There are many soundclips that don't appear to be up from the old site as well.

The site appears to still be under construction and a lot of the links come up with errors. ex. Pin2 link.

It would also be cool to have a new mod every couple of months for the newer pedals like Damage Cntrl, AMT etc.
Regards J Rowland

PS. You do great work Brian this may seem all negative but you said "let me have it"

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian!

I have both your books, which I believe should be required reading for anyone planning to mod or build pedals for a hobby or professionally. They're great!

I would like to see disections of the classic circuits like the TS808, Fuzz Face, etc. Literally taking the schematic and highlighting the location of the high/low pass filters, clipping, tone stack, volume control, etc. And then, extrapolating on those ideas with possible mods like where to insert an amp like tone stack in a TS808 or to add a volume control on any pedal... stuff like that.

There are also people who are interested in making their own PCBs. It would be great to have the do's and don'ts of PCB designing.

Lastly, true bypassing seems to be the buzz word everyone looks for in a pedal. Yet, many manufacturers like Boss, Ibanez, etc. use an electronic switching system. It would be great to explain how to recognize and defeat such stock switching systems to prep the circuit for true bypass wiring.

Lastly, your web site needs some love. It's functional, but it needs a big hug.

Brian, please keep in mind, I do believe you're doing a great job in providing information on pedal mods and creation!!

Anonymous said...

You're doing everything wrong, Brian. ;)

I'm totally joking. I've attempted to deal/communicated with a few different mod/boutique/custom pedal companies, and you're the only one I've ever actually been compelled to follow through and patronize.

However, I have two minor compliants/suggestions:
1) Your old soundclip page is harder to get to; I had to blindly click on every link on your site to find it the other day.
2) IMO, you should keep your old pedals that you don't make for production anymore up on your Pedals page if you still plan on making them available on an order-per-order basis (I have no idea if that's your plan or not; if not, I'll need to beg you for an exception, as I really want a Blue Fuzz whenever I have the money to spare...). Just note that they're no longer in official production and are made specifically to order or something.

And just to let you know: when I first turned on that Sputter Fuzz at the last gig my band played, about four people who had been standing at the back previously came up to the very front and stood straight in front of me, staring at my pedalboard for the rest of the song.

Keep up the good work!
-Wren

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

I loved your book on building pedals, it's what got me back into electronics again last summer and I've been building all sorts of things since, not just pedals.

I have to agree with some of the other comments about the web site. I am a professional web designer and developer by trade and, as such, have extremely high standards when it comes to web site design (just as you do with pedals).

The content, the most important part, you have already ...reams of it, but the layout and design doesn't reflect this, it's mediocre at best. If I were you I'd be tempted to get a professional designer in to do it. Maybe you can find a designer who is also a guitarist and would trade mods/pedals with you for some design work? I know I would.

Keep up the excellent modding work and the great books.

paulski said...

Brian,
I think you've got a great thing going at indyguitarist. I would tend to agree with some other who stated that you needed a bit simpler, more user-friendly site. Also, do you think you could do more with EHX pedals? I know that it would be fantastic to get a new Deluxe Memory Man w/ NOS chips, as the new ones are a bit more brittle and such, or even modding a newer Big Muff back to the green Sovtek specs would be fantastic. Again, keep it up, and best of luck!

- Paul Redel -

Paulgroove82@yahoo.com
815.505.7731

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of BYOC...I came across your page looking for some cool mods...I have a plethora of old pedals!
I was more searching your sight for technical reasons when I was first getting involved...I have actually considered some of your books in the near future..I have checked out Monte Allums a few times...Really cool CS-3 Mod!
I have taken some of the hi fi ideas and applied them to circuts such as an 808, big muff, Stereo Memory Man, Power Screamer, Roue 66, 440 DOD...And went a step further by rethinking many of the BYOC circut boards vs. other common schematics, and common knowledge mods...I beleive your entire series of books can open the next door

Anonymous said...

Brian,
You're not doing anything wrong at all. If a lot of people are like me right now, I've just got too many irons in the fire and not enough cash coming in right now to do a lot of modding. But I will be modding my Dano Daddy-O pedal fairly soon. Just not now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian - love the 'how to modify pedals' book. It opened up a whole world for me. The price is definitely fair - especially after signing up for a free email list and getting the downloaded version.

Suggestions - I've had a very difficult time when recommending this book to others because of the steps you need to go through to get the member price. The website could do a bit more to neon sign you in that direction, if you know what I mean.
Also, you could recommend that people don't attempt to print the ENTIRE 'how to modify effects' book at one time. People have told me the cost of buying the downloaded book is misleading due to the cost of printing out the whole thing (cost of ink). If you only print out the pages you need for each mod as you do them, it doesn't cost nearly as much in terms of ink. Even if you end up doing all the mods, the cost will be spread out over time.

Not sure how the amp mod books work, but it would be good if each came with a set of general instructions and safety tips. You know, in the same way the effects mod book has chapters at the front for general stuff before getting into the specific mods.

Looking forward to the Peavey Classic series mods as well as the Epi Valve Jr.! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi, You are doing a reasonable job. For me personally I haven't bought any of your products as being overseas, I really need to be very confident that any particular product is actually what I'm really looking for,

I think the podcasts, videos, soundclips etc. are highly important as they are the only way (except for direct handons trying) of understanding what any mod, pedal etc. will actually do.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian!!!!

There is lot of good suggestion posted here!
one to ad is to make Video showing how before and after with couple of your mods and run it on VOD content such as Comcast, if you go to Guitar lessons in the VOD content on Comcast you will find Video samples for music equipment such as, effects, guitar, amps and so on...it would boost your sales and get you more exposer to musicians across the con US.

Your work is excellent and the mods are more then improvement, I like to mod pedals and experiment my self as well in my spare time which is very little these days! but when I get the time I do.

Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

MC.

Kenny Holloway said...

Brian,
It may be already obvious to you, but from the customer POV, the websites are most needed area of improvement. I'll echo the suggestion that there be one website for your business.

Kenny

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,

After recently downloading your DIY info, I haven't had enough time to form an opinion or use any of your mods. I do have some questions for you in the future though about some ideas, but right now I don't have the time due to work schedule.

David

Anonymous said...

Brian: As others have said, simplify and clean-up the website! I own all of the books (hard-copy & electronic), so yes I also agree that e-mails seem a bit spamish, as you're trying to personalize, but you keep offering to sell me stuff I 've already bought and registered!

Couldn't buy a pedal due to bad links, and mis-direction, etc... so my priority would be to simplify and fix the website - get rid of the multiple sites!

Alos, found a lot of inconsistency with your PodCasts - multiple formats and sources from what I can determine.. great idea, but bad plan.

I love your stuff, and your philosophy, so please don't be discouraged, just get some better help on the web stuff.

Anonymous said...

I agree your website needs organization to it!
A suggestion would be to break it up in tabs, for example Mods for BOSS, IBANEZ, MAXON, ETC...
Then break each Label by pedal model i.e BOSS - DS1, DD3, etc.
Finally, tell us about the mods for the model and what options are available then have sound clips of the model with and without the mods for us to example and hear.
Lastly, place mp3 clips of how your mods sound compared to your biggest competitors.
This will help us to identify the "tone" and "sound" we are seeking.
Don't let the competitors scare you. There have been many times I have purchased a lower priced item because it gave me what I was seeking!

I have visited many (mod) pedal effect web sites seeking tone. You have nothing to be concerned with!

Anonymous said...

On yea, not much on the website however, you do need more videos, clearer and be more detailed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, I've always thought your customer service was about the best around. You seem more friendly and helpful and "accessible" than most of the others and seem to really enjoy helping people. I bought one of your new Boss BD-2 "Tweed" pedals, which is the best BD-2 mod I've ever heard and I wouldn't take anything for it. The podcasts are nice. It's not a real biggie but maybe you could offer your custom pedals in a smaller box too? I've run out of room on my pedal board and have begun replacing some of the bigger boxes with BYOC pedals, because they are nice and small. Also not a biggie but your web sites have always seemed a little cluttered looking. Maybe you could do something similar to Keeley where on one page, you can see a thumbnail of every pedal offered. I like that you record your clips on "regular" equipment and not expensive, high-end equipment. I like your emails and I think it shows you care about your customers when you ask for their advice and suggestions! I guess that's about all...keep up the good work! ~Steve

Anonymous said...

hi brian ...sorry i havent got anything from you as yet ,but i'm prepping for shoulder surgery ,in a weekand a half ,i'd like to get yr books when everything is better ..rgds pieter labrooy(west australia)

Anonymous said...

The website is very difficult to navigate, it's almost a chore to look around.

The podcasts are great, especially the video podcast with Brent Mason. Your amp demo videos are nice, but if you are not going to "show" any features of the amp, it might be better to use a smaller, but higher res mp3 audio instead.

Examples of stock and modded pedals would be cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
I have only purchased your DIY mod book and am very pleased with it. I am going to order your other books also.
As far as your web site. I like others feel it could be simplified a bit. It does take some looking to find all you need. Also I would like to get to the members only page from your home page. The link never has worked. I always have to go to an old email when I became a member or have to keep it in my favorites. Other wise you are doing a great job. Look forward to more of the same in the future.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Your doing a great job and service. So many great comments from other post I would only be repeating. Plan on future buys of your material.
Thanks for thr good work

Anonymous said...

I love your products. I have the pinnacle 2 and its awesome. made me sell my tubescreamer and my metal zone. i also did the mod on my dynacomp with a kit i got from you works awesome. Products are top of the line along with customer service. I do agree with some more time being spent on your website. Maybe consider hiring someone to set it up for you but all in all your doing great i hope the best for your bussiness.

Anonymous said...

I love your products. I have the pinnacle 2 and its awesome. made me sell my tubescreamer and my metal zone. i also did the mod on my dynacomp with a kit i got from you works awesome. Products are top of the line along with customer service. I do agree with some more time being spent on your website. Maybe consider hiring someone to set it up for you but all in all your doing great i hope the best for your bussiness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian. I'm a fairly new subscriber. Although I have no immediate need for mods( my pedals suit my gig) I do enjoy the pods and the e-mails, as well as the info on your site.. I don't see anything wrong with your site or business plan.When I decide to do a mod, I will happily contact you. Sincerely, Dan

Anonymous said...

I'm happy with the site and the products, but I'll offer some constructive criticism. as others have posted, the site could be streamlined a bit. It would be nice to see you offer individual components as well, to kind of make it an easy spot to shop at for these kinds of things. I'm stoked that you list mouser part #s, which really does make it much easier to purchase from them, but I'd just as soon pay a little markup and get it from you without having to dig so much. It would also be nice to have a click-and-pay system in place for ordering parts kits for the mods you offer. Thanks man!

Anonymous said...

first off i have to say i am very pleased ... the dollar value is definately there, especially when you think of the work that went into this project ... there will be some giffaws for sure (site navigation/orginizations issues seem to be a repeated problem for many), but these small details will be worked out i'm sure, because brian actually "gives a damn!" every email/issue i have sent has been repsonded to, and i feel certain that if you have a problem that is not resolved, brian will work on it till it is ... he appears not to be satisfied with taking the money for the instructions and being done with it, he actually would like to keep you coming back, and perhaps have you help spread the word. the only way to do this and remain sucessfull is to back your products with service, and, to date, brian has done just that! thanks ...
other than some minor mac/pc compatibility issues with the soldering video, i am stoked with the service and efforts made to keep customers happy. i'm wishing i'd of bought the hard copy books instead of the download because printing will be an issue ... for those who are looking to buy, it may be in your best interest to buy the hard copies unless you have the time to print them out.
i haven't had time to do the mods yet, but after going over the online books, everything seems to be covered in idiot proof detail. there are other options available on the internet, and some are quite good as well, but overall, this is one of the best i can find.
thanks to brian for all the work he's done. i know it's not easy !
i would not sign my name to this if i didn't like it, and if i thought he would prove me wrong ...
jay hodge

Anonymous said...

Perhaps defining your main service. Are you a book writer or a pedal mod guru? Design your website with your main offering. If you need pro help, then get it from a web designer. Or create two whole sites, one dedicated to the pedal hot rodder in you and the other to the DIY crowd. And then link each to eachother.

Goff

Unknown said...

Holler! I think my main hesitance has come from the prices. They're a little higher than I'd actually pay for a schematics or (an e-book) and since there's an abundance of free mods out there (inc. some from Keeley...who is arguably the biggest name in pedal mods), I can't justify buying some mods that I more likely than not will not perform. That raises another point. Perhaps you could study how many of your customers perform the mods.

I also agree that the site is a little hard to navigate, but the writing is good and I appreciate that! You seem like a good, honest guy--a real straight shooter--and I appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

The site is much improved, but still needs a bit of work. It would be great if you had links to sound bytes for ALL the mods on your main page. Also, for those pedals that you have several different variations of mods; e.g., SD-1, DS-1, MTS, BD-2, it would be great if you had a brief description of what EACH mod is attempting to achieve. Sometimes you do...sometimes you don't. It;s kind of a crap shoot.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I Love the Guitar Pedal Mods ebook. I believe that others would enjoy this book as we all do. Maybe you need to advertise it more. Perhaps it would be beneficial if there were more reviews of you mods out there. You could encourage your customers to post reviews in such places as Harmony-Central.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
I think the info, updates and reviews you offer are top notch. I haven't tried your pedals yet but I'd like to. Keep up the good work!
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian... I would love to find a way to build some of the modded pedals into rack units to include in my modular synth... help in that area would be cool...

How about tips on keeping these pedals quite... I don't know about the rest of you but I would LOVE the tone without the hissssssss.s.s.s..ssss

cheers
Steve
Bassist_@hotmail_dot_com

Unknown said...

1. oraganize info better

2. compare your modded pedal to other known modded pedals (tell me/let me hear, why I should spend the time and money) ie- sound clip comparison. It's about the TONE, diy or buy it, I want The Best sounding pedals, period.

3. sell all the parts yourself. I would pay extra not to hassle with the added steps. bundel the kit.

4. I Want you to succeed, I love your concept. Good Luck!

LVE said...

Hey Brian,

It's been a little over a year since you posed this question and I'd say you addressed and met customer exepctations fully. Nice job!